Thursday, December 27, 2012

Hosun Lee/ Chapter 1

1. In my thought, my strengths as writer are quite relative. Actually the things that I pursuit in writing could be my strengths or weaknesses. When my characters are exerted moderately, they could be my strengths, but when my characters are excessively abused, they could be my weak points. Following three characters is treated importantly, when it comes to my writing.

First of all, ability to organize ideas is the most important. Actually I major in law, so I get accustomed to organizing the contents. Because, when we write answers for law exams, we have to make well-organized writing to get good grade. Also, making constructive drafts before writing makes me feel comfortable. But there is a chance of being careless with substantive contents for concentrating on organizing my ideas.

Second, originality is important. In my opinion, producing same writing in the same topic, perspective, and tone of writing is meaningless. As the name of our textbook is 'In Our Own Words', we have to do writing by 'In Our Own Words'. I mean that the writing has to reflect writer's personality, characters, etc. But sometimes, immoderate originality can't get sympathy from readers.

Third, objectivity is important. Objectivity is the key to make persuasive writing. If it were not for that, readers might feel uncomfortable and become defensive to the contents. So you have to keep in your mind that there could be ideas different from yours. But blind objectivity could hinder your writing from conveying your intention.

 

2. Following three factors make me hard time in writing.

First of all, my lack of English proficiency is the most challenging and fundamental factor in writing. Without dictionary, I will be numb. Also, a lot of grammatical error makes me depressed.

Second, taking too much time for writing makes it harder. When it comes to writing, I become careful unnecessarily. I'm afraid to make mistakes too much.

Third, getting ideas casts hardship on my writing. Sometime, I just see blank paper and take so much time on getting ideas. Also, I'm picky when I choose my ideas to write.

 

3. Coping with an out-of-class writing assignment, I mostly invest my time on thinking and organizing the ideas. Because I want all the things to be done before I start writing. It makes me comfortable to do writing.

Actually I used to be notorious for putting off assignments, but I will change my character with this class hopefully.

As I wrote down upper part, I prefer to take much time on preparing for my writing. So I revise my draft over and over until it meets my expectation before I start writing.

Even though I have difficulties in my assignment, I usually solve them by myself. Because I feel shameful on my incompetence.

 

 

4. I want my all aspects of English writing to be developed substantially, but to make them three, they could be followings.

First of all, I want to have more confidence in writing. I think that more confidence in writing can solve most of my difficulties in writing. Taking too much time in writing, being afraid to make mistakes, etc are mostly caused by the lack of confidence in writing.

Second, I want my English skills to be developed. Even though I have confidence in writing, if it were not for English skills, it couldn't be more dangerous. Confidence without grounds can be vanity. Of course, proficient English skills will be connected to have more confidence in writing.

Third, I want to enjoy writing in English. The most effective way to learn something is enjoying it. And I am very interested in the topic 'Oral History', so I think that I can enjoy this class, of course writing.

 

5. Freewriting, getting feedback and advice from other students, conferences with your professor will help me most to improve as a writer.

First, freewriting will be beneficial to encourage your confidence in writing. Regardless of confidence, by making writing as your casual work, you may feel easier to write.

Second, getting feedback and advice from other students will give you the chance to have balanced perspective to your works. If your works are finished by yourself, you will be a man of limited scope.

Third, conferences with your professor can provide you with academic improvement on your writing that can't be obtained from your classmates. Also your professor can broaden your sights in writing.

2 comments:

  1. 200702094 Chong rim Yoo
    Wow 8 thought you are good at organzing your thoughts and also have a strong message. You have great english skill:) hope you reach your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are English Master

    ReplyDelete