Saturday, December 29, 2012

200903863 Kyu Jin 1st Draft

In 2003, I graduated from George Walton High School. Yet, I did not feel the need of going to university just yet. My oldest brother graduated from Cornell and Columbia, my second brother from Cal-Tech and Columbia as well. Now both are lawyers. I was playing cute, adorable: third son who causes troubles which my parents actually adored. It seemed like that they were treating me as an extra card in their deck of cards at times. With strong desire to do something different, fun, exciting and even a little bit bizarre, I began to think about my near future. That is when I made my big decision to come to Korea and be a comedian.

         People say that you have to be funny to be a comedian. A dog licking himself would be funny. To make other people laugh was a whole different game and I was not expecting that at all. I was smoking two packs of Marlboro Reds in a day to gain decent ideas. I was not funny; instead, I came up bitter and a bit nutty. In 2004, I auditioned for the first time for KBS and I failed. When I started packing my "not-so-funny" gear up to drag myself home, I was called up by producer Seo-Su-Min. "upgrade ideas by next week. We'll see how it goes." This had to be one of my greatest moments.

         I thought of three main acts for my next audition. I had a comedic concept which compares U.S.A. to Korea. It would be funny to make fun of Korea in U.S., but it was vice versa taking into account that I was in Korea. Also, it was pretty ironic, considering the fact that I hate being compared to. With a grin on my face, I thought to myself. 'Wow, now you have to compare for living stupid.' The show was at 9 PM but producers wanted me to arrive at KBS by 9 AM. For 12 hours my suffering lasted. Before the show, I vomited three times. I was not even hired yet and they wanted me on the show. I was calming myself thinking about the movie 8mile, and told myself that Eminem went through the same thing when he first starting rapping. It was a ridiculous way to control my insides but it worked. After practicing the out of the ordinary self-calming method, the clock finished its race to 9 PM.

 I was actually a comedian for two whole years. How did I end up in HUFS? Apparently, comedians do not make a lot of money. Well, not enough for my needs. After being on a T.V. show for so long, I was fluent in both languages. I took my newly achieved skill as an opportunity to attend here in HUFS.

Now, I am happy about where I am in my timeline and my actual location as well. I hope to graduate and go corporate in mid-thirties. I wish to maintain myself from trying to be too different from my brothers whom doesn't know, nor care about my life, and do what I am good at. Even though I do not take the event as my most proud moments but this was really important in my life. This odd adventure helped me shape who I am today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment