Saturday, December 29, 2012

YongSun Hwang_1st draft

Yong Sun Hwang_1st draft

 

Unexpected Happening

 

Do you have a good car? How much do you know about a car? Imagine that your car stopped in the middle of road, and there is nothing around you. I guess this kind of unexpected incident rarely happens in daily life; if it happens, most people might not only get confused but have no idea about what to do. I’ve been driving for more than 11 years, already renewed my driving license once. In other words, I have various kinds of car accidents: crashing a road sign, spinning on an icy road, and etc. The most hardest and memorable accident is that my car blew up on the road late at rainy night.

 

I was an aspirant to a professional golfer, since my early childhood; I went to New Zealand when I was 20 years old for off-season training. I bought one really cheap car rather than rented one: less than 2000 dollars car. And the unexpected incident happened when I and two other friends went to Mt Maunganui which is about 300 km away from where I lived. We had 4 days of tournament in that place, and the result was not so good; we were very upset and tired on the last day. To make matters worse, it was raining cats and dogs.

 

We went to KFC for dinner, actually there was nothing to have except KFC, and recharged ourselves for a while. After that, we set off for our home, and the first driver was unfortunately me. By the time I drove about 1 or 2 hours, the car was abruptly jerked back and forth a few times, and suddenly stopped. I didn’t think there was something wrong in my car at first, but after got out of the car, I was totally shocked because the bonnet of my car was steaming like black smoke from the factory chimney. I couldn’t notice the smoke because of the heavy raining; smoke can be easily hid by raining. What’s worse, there was nothing around us, even one streetlight; all I can see was wide dark lawns in all directions.

 

Without any plans in mind, we hold our own waterproof double-bladed golf umbrella, and started to walk forward until we find something. While walking, we didn’t have any conversation, even a word. After 1 hour of walking, we finally found one bar; when we got in, there were about six old drunken men. None of us was good at English, so we use every part of our body and all our English knowledge existed in our brain to express our situation to get some help. “My car is stopped. Please help me, please”; that was all we said to our saviors.

 

As a result, a wonderful and surprising thing happened. The bar owner and his friends towed our car to the bar without hesitation; in my eyes, they looked just like an angel from heaven. On top of that, he thankfully provided us accommodation and meals. Next morning, one of his friends who own a car repair shop took us to our home. Wondering about my car? The car doctor told us that I didn’t put water in radiator which cools down the heat and sends water to the engine, and that’s why my car broken down unexpectedly; I gave it to the man who took us to our comfortable home as a present. As I mentioned before, he owns an auto repair shop, so all the parts except broken parts can be used. Actually, I gave him a little bit of money for patrol and meal.

 

After that unexpected accident, I always check and fill the radiator before I head to somewhere far away from my home, and always put extra bottle of water in my car, just in case. It is impossible to predict unexpected things beforehand, unless you possess the gift of foresight; from that fantastic experience, I learnt that preparing in advance before something happens is the best way to avoid all unexpected incidents. Moreover, after experiencing helpful and friendly helps from kind strangers, I have one principle in my life: one good turns deserves another. Help somebody who needs your help! Your good action will definitely return to you someday. Finally, do not forget to check your radiator before you go a long trip!

1 comment:

  1. Yong Sun Hwang_Final draft

    Unexpected Happening

    Do you have a good car? How much do you know about a car? Imagine that your car stopped in the middle of road, and there is nothing around you. I guess this kind of unexpected incident rarely happens in our daily life. And if it happens, most people might not only get confused but have no idea about what to do. Now, I’ve been driving for more than 11 years, already renewed my driving license once, so I have various kinds of car accidents such as crashing a road sign, spinning on an icy road, and etc. But the hardest accident is that my car broke down on the road late at rainy night.

    I was an aspirant to a professional golfer, since my early childhood. I went to New Zealand when I was 20 years old for off-season training. I bought one really cheap car rather than rented one: less than 2000 dollars car. And the unexpected incident happened when I and two of my friends went to Mt Maunganui which is about 300 km away from where I stayed. We had 4 days of tournament so we were almost out of energy on the last day. To make matters worse, we had to drive home and it was raining cats and dogs.

    We went to KFC for dinner, actually that was the only food for Asian boys to have in that area, and recharged ourselves for a while. After that, we set off for our home. Unfortunately, the first driver was me. By the time I drove about 1 or 2 hours, the car abruptly jerked back and forth a few times, and suddenly stopped. I didn’t think there was something wrong in my car at first, but after got out of the car, I was totally shocked because the bonnet of my car was steaming like black smoke from the factory chimney. I couldn’t notice the smoke because of the heavy raining. As you know, smoke can be easily hid by raining. What’s worse, there was nothing around us, even one streetlight, and all I can see was wide dark lawns in all directions.

    Without any plans in mind, we hold our own waterproof double-bladed golf umbrella, and started to walk forward until we find something. While walking, we didn’t have any conversation, even a word. After 1 hour of walking, we finally found one bar. When we got in, there were six old New Zealand men drinking beer. None of us was good at English, so we used every part of our body and all English words we knew to express our situation to get some help. “Hello. I’m Korean. I have problem. My car stopped. Help me, please”: What a perfect English sentence for non-English speaker.

    As a result, a wonderful thing happened. The bar owner and his friends towed our car to the bar without hesitation. In my eyes, they looked just like an angel from heaven. On top of that, he thankfully provided us accommodation and meals. Next morning, one of his friends who own a car repair shop took us to our home. Wondering about my car? The car doctor told me that I didn’t put water in radiator which cools down heat of the engine, and that’s why my car broken down. He also told me that repair cost for that broken part is about 1000 dollars which is almost same as car price. And if I give my car to him, he can handle everything by himself. He can sell or re-use unbroken parts of my car. Finally, I decided to give the car to him as an expression of my gratitude. Actually, I gave him a little bit of money for patrol and meal, too.

    It is impossible to predict unexpected things beforehand, unless you possess the gift of foresight. After that unexpected accident, I always check and fill the radiator before I head to somewhere far away from my home, and always put extra bottle of water in my car, just in case. Moreover, after experiencing helpful and friendly helps from kind strangers, I have one principle in my life: one good turns deserves another. Help somebody who needs your help! Your good action will definitely return to you someday. And don’t forget to check your radiator before you go a long trip!

    ReplyDelete