Friday, December 28, 2012

chapter1 201002708 Jieun Lee

1.      What are your strengths as a writer: for example, creativity, ability to organize ideas, ability to express ideas clearly? List three of your strengths below, starting with the most important one. Explain these strengths by giving examples, if possible.

My strengths as a writer are abilities to organize the structure and find information related to the topic, and write in my own voice. For example, at first, before I start to writing, I tend to organize and outline contents so that I deliver my writing as much as easily and effectively. Therefore, in my writing, even if there are many weaknesses such as grammar, punctuation, word choice and so on, most of my writing is usually organized. Secondly, when I am given the topic about assay assignment or research paper, I start to organize my experiences or knowledge I already know rather than I started to write from introduction right away. If I gain enough information from internal or external environment, I can write my writing with more confidence and organization. Finally, I like to write with own my voice. It means that even though I am lack of very fancy and academic English expression, I try to write my own thought and suggestion even if there are many universal opinions. I think it is really hard part to develop, I believe it makes readers interested and focused on my writing.

2.      What do you find most difficult about writing: for example, getting ideas, organizing ideas, not knowing enough about the topic? List three problems you face in your writing, starting with the most serious. Explain these problems by giving examples, if possible.

I really was uncomfortable in either Korean writing or English writing because no matter how hard I think, it was another issue to write with appropriate expression. The most serious problem is my awkward expression. Last semester, when I took writing course, my instructor told me that I have problems in word choice, phrases, and grammar structure. Even if I think I followed English grammar and vocabulary I learned, it is hard to find proper words real English speakers use. Secondly, I am not creative person, so my writing structure tends to be boring. I want to learn how to start creatively to gain reader's interests, and write unique writings. My last problem is my laziness. Sometimes, my preparing processes such as finding information and organizing are really helpful, but it takes more time to do that. As a result, there are many cases I can't review and revise my writings. I think sometimes my efforts for my writings have to be balanced.

3.      Describe your writing process by answering the following questions: How do you usually approach an out-of-class writing assignment? Do you start early or put it off until the last minute? Do you write only one draft or revise your essay one or more times? Where do you go for help if you find a writing assignment difficult?

I usually follow writing process in doing out-of-class writing assignment. At first, I jot down what comes to my mind related to the topic through brainstorming, and I organize what I came up with, and then I start to write rough draft. Finally I revise and edit my writing. Honestly, sometimes I start to write draft late because I am usually obsessed with thought I have to search proper material and think about seriously before jumping into the draft process. I do not think first draft is perfect, so I really try to find wrong parts after I finish writing many times. Where I go for help when I get in trouble is depend on what problems are. When I can't understand what question require to answer, I ask my  parents what it means, but when I have problems with expression such as grammar or word choice, I ask my friends who are accustomed to do that.   

4.       In what ways do you hope your writing will improve by the end of this course: for example, more confidence in writing, more ideas for writing, better organization, ability to write more quickly? List three ways in which you hope your writing will improve, and explain why these things are important to you as a writer.

The most part I hope in this course is getting used to write real English expression in writing through many writings. I think if I use more appropriate expression, I can deliver more clearly what I want readers to understand. Secondly, I want to write many kinds of essays, so after this course, I want to be confident in writing any kind of essays. Finally, I want to be creative writer. I want to escape from too formal or trite writings and want to express my opinions creatively.

5.      What do you think will help you most to improve as a writer: for example, freewriting, getting feedback and advice from other students, revising your essays, conferences with your teacher? List three things that you think will help you to improve, and explain why you think these things will be helpful.

I think the best way for good writing is only try to think of it by myself. However, through other writing courses, to talk about with classmates, and discuss key points together, I could come up with my ideas more easily. I think in preparing process, to think about the topic with other people is really good way. Also, getting feedback from instructor and classmates is another good way because even if I review and revise my draft many times, I can gain other aspects from other people's views. It could be related to grammar, contents or more effective structure. Finally, I think it is significant to take time to write and revise as much as possible.

2 comments:

  1. I also agree with that it it hard to write something either in English or Korean. I think that writing is another part of learning language!

    ReplyDelete
  2. About one of those difficulties in writing you wrote - not being a creative person, I'm also that type of person and all that worry and focus related to it like all the time even increase all the fears of writing.. Indeed need to be over it anyways.

    ReplyDelete