Sunday, December 30, 2012

Hosun Lee/Chapter 2, 1st draft

 

 

First of all, I have to say that I'm not a student of HUFS. I'm a sophomore of Korean national police university. As a student, I could have a chance to be given on-the-job training last summer. I was assigned to Songpa police station where my father was working in the criminal investigation section. I was so excited to see my father in his office, but I couldn' because I took on-the-job training in transportation section different from my father's section.

 

In the OJT, I could have a bunch of experiences like chasing law-breaking cars, investigating traffic accidents, giving tickets about speeding or parking, controling traffic signal during rush hour etc. All these experiences were thrilling but above all, they gave me precious lessons to be a successful police officer.

 

The most striking event happened to me at midnight. I was patrolling around by squad car with an officer. There was no one in streets at 4 am. In addition to the silence, satiety made me sleepy because we had instant noodles for late-night meal.

 

But all of a sudden, we encountered two guys breaking the silence of midnight. We approached to them. Then one guy who appeared to be intoxicated recognized us and shouted.

"I was about to call you, buster!"

Anyway we got off the car. Then the drunken guy abruptly came to the officer and kept pushing him with insulting words. At that time, I couldn't hide my anger and thought that how could he do to the officer working for his public peace even at this midnight. So I was about to tell something to the rude drunken man but there is nothing I can do as a trainee. Because I reminded that the officer had asked me to keep still without his permission.

The drunken guy kept talking down to us with bad words, but contrary to me, the officer acted calmly and sometimes, firmly. He responded the guy's insulting words with his impudence and sense of humor but he strictly stood against physical fight. Finally, he was the one leading the conversation.

 

The whole story was revealed soon. The drunken guy had been crossing a street at a crosswalk and the other guy driving truck had almost hit the drunken guy. It was turned out that the signal had been green when the drunken man had been on the crosswalk and the truck driver was to blame. After addressing that accident, the drunken guy told something to us.

"I'm sorry for my behavior. I drank a lot and was so surprised by the accident. So I might behave like that without thinking. I sincerely sorry for my rudeness."

After assuring that the drunken guy went home safely, we kept our duty.

 

Finishing our night duty, the officer said to me.

"You didn't have to frown your face like that."

And he continued his words.

"Most of traffic accidents are easy to address if you reveal fact relevance. But the problem is that how to calm down the agitated persons directly involved in the accident and draw precise statements from the persons involved. And also, you will see many accidents everyday as a policeman, but as an ordinary person, the accident could be a liftime of experience. So don't let these accidents make you stressed out. You have a duty to treat all accidents regardless of your emotion."

 

I was so ashamed not to control my mind. And I realized that it is so important to control my emotion as a policeman. Although people ignore, criticize or even insult police, we have duty to exert administrative action in fairness and impartiality. There is no question that this is our role in this society.

4 comments:

  1. To: Hosun Lee From: Jieun Lee Assignment Ch2 first draft

    1. What I like about this piece of writing is that you expressed very well what you learned from this experience, so I could understand how meaningful this memory is for you as a reader. Particularly, by telling one specific episode you had, I could focus on this story rather than feeling as a whole. I think this your choice was really good. Also, you described your experience like a movie scene, so I could imagine this scene very vividly, and at the end of the essay, your lesson from this experience made this essay very meaningful.

    2. Your main point seems to be through this work, you learned that you have to control your emotion as a wonderful policeman. I think this lesson can adjust every work place. However, you described why you have to do through your own experience. It is really good. Also, your main point looks strong because you mention your lesson at the end of the essay.

    3. The words or lines that struck me as powerful are at first, what you described when you couldn’t anything because you were as a trainee. This paragraph expresses vividly how pent-up you were and your condition. Also, through quote saying of the officer, readers can understand what you learned from this experience.

    4. There is no ambiguous expression, but I think you can change the end of the essay. You quote significant amount. I think this is your essay that delivers your thought rather than focusing on showing the whole situation like an article, so I recommend you simplify this part and add your thought in this part.

    5. I think your essay is really good, so it was hard to find how I can advise for you. The one change you could make that would make the biggest improvement in this piece of writing is as I said above, you can add your emotion at some situation, not just describing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.What I like about this piece of writing is the story itself and the way you describe the story. I never heard of the story about the real life of policemen before and it was interesting to read your writing. Also your way of describing the story was lively enough to make me imagine what happened to you and understand what you felt from that experience.

    2. Your main point is well mentioned in the last paragraph. You said that you have to control emotion to be a police officer even though sometimes people ignore and criticize you.

    3. The line that struck me most was 'you wiil see many accidents everyday as a policemen, but as an ordinary person, the accident could be a lifetime of experience.' I guess these words from policemen led you to the realization andnd it was the same case for me too.

    5. I think the content of your writing is great so you don't need to worry about that. There are some grammatical errors like 'it was turned out'☞ 'it turned out' and 'most of traffic accidents'☞ 'most traffic accidents' or 'most of the traffic accidents' but they are not really a big problem. So good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A precious lesson from a drunk man

    First of all, I have to say that I'm not a student of HUFS. I'm a sophomore of Korean national police university. As a student, I could have a chance to be given on-the-job training last summer. I was assigned to Songpa police station where my father was working in the criminal investigation section. I was so excited to see my father in his office, but I couldn't because I took the training in transportation section different from my father's section.

    In the training, I could have a bunch of experiences like chasing law-breaking cars, investigating traffic accidents, giving tickets about speeding or parking, controling traffic signal during rush hour and so on. All of these experiences were thrilling and fruitful. But above all, whenever I recall the experiences of training, there is one event that comes up in my mind first.

    The most striking event happened to me at dawn. I was patrolling around by squad car with an officer. There was no one on the streets at 4 am. In addition to the silence, satiety made me sleepy because we had instant noodles for late-night meal.
    But all of a sudden, we encountered two men breaking the silence of midnight. We approached to them. Then one man who appeared to be intoxicated recognized us and shouted.

    "I was about to call you, buster!"

    Anyway we got off the car. Then the drunk man abruptly came to the officer and kept pushing him with insulting words. At that time, I couldn't hide my anger and thought that how could he do to the officer working for public peace even at this dawn. So I was about to tell something to the rude man but there is nothing I can do as a trainee. Because I reminded that the officer had asked me to keep still without his permission.

    The man kept talking down to us with bad words, but contrary to me, the officer acted calmly and sometimes, firmly. He responded the guy's insulting words with his sense of humor but he strictly stood against physical fight. Finally, he was the one controlling the situation.

    The whole story was revealed soon. The drunk man had been crossing a street at a crosswalk and the other man driving truck had almost hit the drunk man. It turned out that the signal of crosswalk had been green when the drunk man had crossed the street and the truck driver was to blame. After addressing that accident, the drunk man told something to us.

    "I'm sorry for my behavior. I drank a lot and was so surprised by the accident. So I might behave like that without thinking. I sincerely sorry for my rudeness."

    After assuring that the drunken guy went home safely, we kept our duty.

    Finishing our night duty, the officer said to me.

    "You didn't have to frown your face like that."

    And he continued his words.

    “Actually investigating traffic accidents is not that very tricky. But the problem is that although you face a great number of accidents, you have to control your mind.”

    His words struck my mind sincerely. He was right. Most of the traffic accidents are easy to address if I reveal facts such as which color the signal was at the time of accidents or whether the persons involved in the accidents was intoxicated or not. But the problem is that how to calm down the agitated persons and draw precise statements from them. For that, controlling one’s emotion should be preceded.

    Also, I will see many accidents everyday as a policeman, but as an ordinary person, the accident could be an experience of lifetime. There must be a lot of hardship, even worse than this one, but I shouldn’t let these accidents make me stressed out.

    I was so ashamed not to control my mind. And I realized that it is so important to control my emotion as a policeman. Although people ignore, criticize or even insult police, we have duty to deal with each accident in fairness and impartiality. There is no question that this is our role in this society.

    ReplyDelete