Saturday, December 29, 2012

Junseok Kang/the 1st writing

1. What are your strengths as a writer: for example, creativity, ability to organize ideas, ability to express ideas clearly? List three of your strengths below, starting with the most important one. Explain these strengths by giving examples, if possible.

           My strength as a writer is, at first, ability to organize my idea. I use my organizing skills for many times at school. I arranged the important words about the subject I want to write or study about. Then I group and make a basic structure with the vocabularies. I think it gives a good basic frame for writing.

           Another strength I have is that I have experience of writing. Through four years of school, I went through many writing assignments and class. For an example, most of the class I took requires me to write about any subject from my personal life story to business idea. And I guess those course have made my writing skills strong.

           The other one is that I don't waste time with hesitation or shyness when I write. I think this quality is good for not wasting time and easy to get a desirable result of writing. For an example, when I decide to write or finish organizing the ideas, I get into the writing process right away. For me, it brings the focused time and an ability to put out my all idea in short time.

 

2. What do you find most difficult about writing: for example, getting ideas, organizing ideas, not knowing enough about the topic? List three problem you face in your writing, starting with the most serious. Explain these problems by giving examples, if possible.

           If I have to pick my three weaknesses about writing, the first thing is the lack of experience. Without enough personal experience and idea, even the very beginning process of writing starts to become hard and stressful. If I get an extra time to gather some information, it would be fine to deal with information shortage. But when I don't have experience about an certain subject, it is hard, because experience is not a thing I am able to have right off.

           Second weakness is limited vocabularies. In my writings, I found I have a certain tendency to use same words and phrasal verbs repeatedly. In my mother tongue, repetition of words and verbs doesn't matter. But when it comes to English writing, I see the possibility that my writing might seem unsophisticated or boring.

           Third weakness is that I have high expectation from my writing. It motivates me to be a better writer, however the most time high expectation brings high disappointment to me. Sometimes this anticipation makes me keep putting things off, just hoping the best moment to be ready and a good idea happens to me which never comes.

 

3. Describe your writing process by answering the following questions: How do you usually approach an out of class writing assignment? Do you start early or put it off until last minute? Do you write only one draft or revise your easy one or more times? Where do you go for help if you find a writing assignment difficult?

 

           I usually pick up a relaxing day for a writing assignment. Then I start. I may have the tendency to put things off till last minutes. But I think many students also have. So I don't consider it as a big problem. I revise a couple of times. First I search the grammar and spell mistakes, then after I try to look for the flaw of logic and the wrong structure. Even I have the problem with writing assignment, I don't discuss it with anybody. I personally think using an internet is a great tool for self-taught and found that most of times I don't really need a person to ask about.

 

4. In what ways do you hope your writing will improve by the end of this course: for example, more confidence in writing, more idea for writing, better organization, ability to write more quickly? List three ways in which you hope your writing will improve, and explain why these things are important to you as a writer.

 

           My goal of this course is that acquiring a skill to write a basic leveled newspaper article. To achieve this aim, at first I need to improve formal writing skill. I often find a difficult with formal and courtesy English expressions. Also distinguishing which language is appropriate or suitable for a formal writing is extremely difficult, because I can't tell the nuance.

           The second quality I want to learn is that the positive attitude for writing. I understand the writing is stressful and hard work. But I think the positive approach would be helpful to get a better result from writing process.

           The last one I want is reading more books throughout this course. For me, reading is the most helpful resource and teacher for writing. Also it motivates me to become a better writer.

 

5. What do you think will help you most to improve as a writer: for example, free writing, getting feedback and advice from other student, revising your essays, conferences with your teacher? List three things that you think will help you to improve, and explain why you think these things will be helpful.

 

           The best way to help me to improve is reading. Reading can't make me a perfect writer for instance. However, in long term, it leads a stable and easy way to become a good writer. Through reading, I picked up the good vocabularies and expressions. Even I can't remember all of them at the moment, it naturally nurtures my language.

           Another way is that revising my work. I think revising is like a self-taught. At first it might be not easy to find my own problems and mistakes. However when I found them, it wouldn't happen again for next time.

           The other way helpful way I think is writing more. I think it is the best way and don't need to explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment