Thursday, December 27, 2012

Han sang deok /chapter 1

 

1. What are your strengths as a writer: for example, creativity, ability to organize ideas, ability to express ideas clearly? List three of your strengths below, starting with the most important one. Explain these strengths by giving examples, if possible.  

 

The most important strength as a writer to me is the ability to relate the abstract notion with my real life. When thinking and writing, I always find the relationship between the piece of writing and my life. For example, as I write paper about study on public administration, I apply those academic notions to public service, and national police. Therefore audience can easily understand my writings by examples.

Second, my writing is brief and simple. To make it brief and simple, there needs to be only the most important idea. In other words audience can easily catch the main point without wasting time.

Third, when I see the topic, I get lots of ideas in my head which proves creativity. It makes my writings ordinary and unique.

 

2. What do you find most difficult about writing: for example, getting ideas, organizing ideas, not knowing enough about the topic? List three problems you face in your writing, starting with the most serious. Explain theses problems by giving exmaples, if possible.

 

The most serious problem is that I can't write well when I don't know enough about that topic, especially, writings related to philosophy and science which is hard to understand and apply to real life. If I can't find the relevancy with the real world, I couldn't start a word. As a result, the outcomes are disappointing.

Secondly, my writings are too short to understand. As I often skip the rhetorical expressions or minor ideas, it could look determined and firm, but readers usually don't get my point and even misinterpret my writings.

Thirdly, as the old saying too many cooks spoil the broth, because of too many thoughts in my head, I cannot concentrate on the most important idea, which finally spoils the whole writing process.

 

3. Describe your writing process by answering the following questions: How do you usually approach an out-of-class writing assignment? Do you start early of put it off until the las minute? Do you write only one draft or revise your essay one or more times? Where do you go for help if you find a writing assignment difficult?

 

Usually I put off till the last day, because writing assignment is my most dislike activity, as a result I often got unsatisfied grades. However, recently I recognize the fact that making the draft and revising it could make the quality far better than expected. Therefore I make the draft in advance and revise it 2 or 3 times as far as time allows.

When I find my assignment difficult, I usually get help from my friends who takes the same class, asking for advice and revisions. Also I refer to the related texts from internet.

 

4. In what ways do you hope your writing will improve by the end of this course: for example, more confidence in writing, more ideas for writing, better organization, ability to write more quickly? List three ways in which you hope your writing will improve, and explain why these things are important for you as a writer.

First, I want to have the ability to judge whether the quality of my writings is model and exemplary. By this I can find and read good texts, Also following and imitating those models, I can learn writing for myself

Second, I hope to improve the ability to organize ideas, and express ideas clearly and precisely. When writing, I want readers to get to the point and understand my opinions.

Third, I hope to be confident in writing. When reading, I often have problems catching the author's point of view. In other words, I interpret the texts too originally and strangely that I mislead the point writer intends. At the same context, I write totally different and wrong texts from the same topic. This frustration makes writing hard and difficult to me.

 

5. What do you think will help you most to improve as a writer: for example, freewriting, getting feedback and advice from other students, revising your essays, conferences with your teacher? List three things that you think will help you to improve and explain why you think these things will be helpful.

 

First, I need to write journals. By writing journals everyday, I can reduce fear of writing. Also, through this process of writing I could discover important ideas which make the texts original.

Second, I need to read a lot. For extensive perspective, I need to read texts of wide areas. Too often due to the narrow viewpoint, I often mislead the topics and write strange texts. By reading various categories, I can overcome this problem.

Third, habit of revision is necessary. I rarely look at my writings one more time. Usually, first or second draft should be rough and incomplete. Therefore revising at least three times is critical to raise the quality of the texts. Above all, thorough this course I need to have the habits of revising my writings.

2 comments: