Thursday, December 27, 2012

Songyi Baik - Chapter 1

1. 1) The ability to organize ideas: I usually apply introduction, body and conclusion format so that readers can easily follow my writing.

2) The ability to express ideas clearly: I try to minimize rhetorical expressions and write simple sentences which are easy to understand.

3) Revising efforts: I try to revise my writing as much as possible to make it better and better.

 

2. 1) Getting ideas: It takes me long time to brainstorm about the topic and find materials to write.

2) Word Selection: As I am not a native English speaker, choosing the right word in line with context is difficult. I can't tell nuance differences between similar words.

3) Paraphrasing: English writers prefer not to use same words repetitively. As I have limited vocabulary, it's difficult to paraphrase all the time.

 

3. When I get a writing assignment, I usually put it off until the last minute. Whenever I try to do my homework in advance, I can't come up with good ideas. But right before the deadline, I can think of creative ideas thanks to time pressure.

I always try to revise my essay as much as possible. I correct grammatical errors at first. Then I try to improve structure, expressions and other aspects.

I search websites when I need some help for my writing assignment. There are various writing advice and samples online.

 

4. 1) I hope that I can get the ability to write more quickly because now it takes me too long to get ideas and start writing.

2) I also want to be confident about both writing and English. I know that I can't get confidence just by taking one course, but at least I hope to feel my writing has improved after three weeks.

3) I would like to enjoy writing itself someday. I hope that this course can be the one step to the goal.

 

5. 1) Reading: I used to read a lot when I was a teenager and I was pretty good at writing then. But I stopped reading books after I became a university student and now my writing is getting worse. By reading a lot of books, we can learn how to be a good writer.

2) Free writing: Regardless of genre and topic, free writing will help to develop some skills to write better. Practice makes perfect.

3) Feedback: There's a limit to revise by myself. Other people including professor and classmates can find out what I don't realize.

2 comments:

  1. I have troubles expressing my ideas clearly, and I think writing sentences as simple as I can will help me a lot as you said. Also, you and I have common in putting off the writing assignment until the last minute. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your statement that time pressure makes people think of creative ideas, although it is not always a desirable solution. I also think reading a lot can help develop writing skills.

    ReplyDelete