Saturday, January 5, 2013

200903863 HWANG KYU JIN Chapter 3 1st draft

My Only Childhood Pal

 

His name is Jason Lee. We met in George Walton High School in Atlanta Georgia. I was the only Asian kid in the school. All the other kids were either Caucasian or Jewish. I had been moving back and forth between Korea and America, so I was not expecting to make any friends. I also did not know much English. Then, a kid from the big city came. He was heavily built and looked very tough for a teenager. He would smell like my uncle because he smoked the same type of cigarettes as my uncle. He would be in many fights against others. I never understood that. He became one of the coolest kids in my school. He was always in center of the group, and I wanted to be like him.

 

We sat right next to each other. Come to think of it, I believe my teacher wanted me to associate with other human being and another Asian kid might do just the job. He talked to me eventually but being a bad English student, I could not understand any words coming out of his mouth. So I nodded. I nodded until my neck was sore. All I understood were naughty words. For a whole year, I nodded. On my second year, my ear was beginning to pick up words. It was a miracle. I nodded with confidence after that. On sophomore year, he became one of my best friends.

 

Typical bigheaded kids we were. When he got in trouble for skipping classes, I was also. I would see him in detention class and we would giggle like girls in boy-band concerts. Oh how I miss the high school. Our friendship lasted for a long time. I wanted it to last forever. However, the paths we chose were very different. He applied to Marine Corps, and I wanted go back to my motherland.

Our last words to each other were "c-ya." I am to this day, an emotional person. I sometimes think that I could have said better words to show him my gratitude and I know exactly what he would say. Tough kid like Jason would say "You are being gay again Kyu, get outta my face."

 

A few years back, I met him online through Facebook. We talked about our silly adventures and plans of him coming to Korea. He was still the same old tough guy but less destructive I guess. He went community college for two years, and then just a year ago, he transferred to Columbia University. Jason gave me courage to try uncharted path and I owe him for that. Someday, I hope to tell him that whether if he thinks I'm gay or not. 

4 comments:

  1. 200702094 Chong rim Yoo

    1. What I liked about your writing is that the topic of your writing made me emotional. I really liked the flow and the topic itself. i could see that you tries to use EQUIP. Great:)

    2. The topic of your writing seems to be your great memories with your friend "Jason". I could feel the friendship between you two!

    3. I liked the sentence where you described Jason. Especially where you said he smells like your uncel. I just could automatically imagine the smell. Nice explanation. And "c-ya" was great. I felt like it contained lots of emotion.

    4. There was no specific part I least like but I felt the explanationa you generally used were too simple.

    5. It whould have been a better writing if you have used more illustraions and specifics. I thinkg there are several parts where you can add more explanations like Jason being the coolest kid in the school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Jason Lee is a tough person that helped you understand English and get along with other people.

    2. (1) He would be in many fights against others.
    (2) On my second year, my ear was beginning to pick up words.
    (3) On sophomore year, he became one of my best friends.

    3. What the person looks like - He was heavily built and looked very tough for a teenager.
    What the person says - "You are being gay again Kyu, get outta my face."
    What the person does - He applied to Marine Corps.

    4. After reading your essay, I couldn't understand how you and Jason Lee became best friends. You know, just nodding would not be helpful to making friends. There might be a memorable event or something that made you guys get close to each other.

    5. I don't believe that you chose him because you are gay.(just kidding) Of course you chose him because he helped a lot in your school days and you guys were best friends! There might be no one who affected your life more than your best friend.

    6. As I wrote down above, I became curious about how you guys could get along with. Because he was tough and destructive man, there might be some difficulties to be a friend. You can pick one of your memorable events with him, and add to your writing. That will make your writing more coherent and interesting, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 200702094 Chong rim Yoo -rewrite

    1. The person who you wrote about is "Jason“. A tough guy who became the coolest guy in school but a good friend of the writer.

    2. 1) He was always in the center of the group and I wanted to be like him.
    2) Jason gave me courage to try uncharted path and I owe him for that.
    3) Our last words to each other were "c-ya"

    3. 1) Heavily built and looked very tough. Smells like the writer uncle as they smoke the same ciggerate.
    2) "You are being gay again Kyu get outta my face"
    3) He applies for the Marine and also went ti community colloge and transfered to Columbia University.

    4. There was no actual event of you and Jason, I would like to know how you both became friends and what kind of memory led you to think him as your best friend.

    5. I could notice thw friendship between you and Jason. Some sentences show your feeling about Jason for example “Jason gave me courage.....“ However the biggesr reason why you chose him is because he was the friend you had when you were struggling difficulties.

    6. How is Jason doing now? As he transferred to Columbia University what is he planning to do in the future? If you add more details about this you could describe Jason as the coolest person:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HWANG KYU JIN final draftJanuary 9, 2013 at 6:49 PM

    My Only Childhood Pal

    His name is Jason Lee. We met at George Walton High School in a suburb of Atlanta Georgia. I was the only Asian kid in the school. All the other kids were either Caucasian or Jewish. I was not worried by loneliness because I had been moving back and forth between Korea and America, so I was not expecting to make any friends. Also, I did not know much English. Then one day, a kid from the downtown came. He was heavily built and looked very tough for a teenager. He smelled like my uncle because he smoked the same type of cigarettes as my uncle. Being violent and acting up all the time, he had disagreements with many individuals in school leading to exchanging fists. For some odd reasons, I actually admired his exhausting life style. He became one of the coolest kids in my school and I believe he worked hard at it. He was always in center of the group, and I wanted to be like him.

    We sat right next to each other. Come to think of it, I believe my teacher wanted me to associate with other human being and another Asian kid might do just the job. He talked to me eventually but being a bad English student, I could not understand any words coming out of his mouth. So I nodded. I nodded until my neck was sore. All I understood were naughty words. For a whole year, I nodded. On my second year, my ear was beginning to pick up words. It was a miracle. I nodded with confidence after that. He must have thought that I was an amazing listener because on sophomore year, he became one of my best friends.

    Typical high school kids we were. When he got in trouble for skipping classes, I was also. I would see him in detention class and we would giggle like girls in boy-band concerts. Oh how I miss the high school. Our friendship lasted for a long time. I wanted it to last forever. However, the paths we chose were very different. He applied to Marine Corps, and I wanted go back to my motherland.
    Our last words to each other were “c-ya.” I am to this day, an emotional person. I sometimes think that I could have said better words to show him my gratitude and I know exactly what he would say. Tough kid like Jason would say “You are being gay again Kyu, get outta my face.”

    A few years back, I met him online through Facebook. We talked about our silly adventures and plans of him coming to Korea. He was still the same old tough guy but less violent I guess. He went community college for two years, and then just a year ago, he transferred to Columbia University. What a hard work he must have put in to get in to a nice university. I remember him getting his D.E.D. like it was yesterday. Jason gave me courage to go and try uncharted path and I owe him for that. Someday soon, I hope to thank him and tell him that he is a true friend. Maybe the gayness in the air would make him giggle again like the good old days in the suburb.

    ReplyDelete