Saturday, January 5, 2013

Songyi Baik - Ch3 1st draft

My father

             My father frowns whenever I ask him about his childhood. His face shows that he doesn't like to recall his deprived childhood. His parents got divorced when he was 10 years old. His mother suddenly shouldered the financial responsibility of the family. Though she was a doctor, she couldn't earn as much as others did because she worked at local public health center. My father had to sleep together with his mother and younger sister in a small room of his aunt's house. Also his mother couldn't give enough affection and care for her children because she was busy working in the day time and doing housework at night.

             "He doesn't have a father. My mom said that we should not get along with him." My father disliked to hear this kind of backbiting, so he tried to be a perfectionist. He didn't want to show his weakness to others. Even until now, he's very inflexible and strongly clings to his principles. Sometimes he seems like a machine. My father is a diabetic, so he has to take three pills 30 minutes after every mill. He also needs to check his blood sugar figure two times a day; at morning when his stomach is empty and 2 hours after dinner. My father never forgets to take the pill or measure blood sugar figure. He always sets two alarms after supper. When the first alarm rings after 30 minutes, he takes medicine, and when it rings again after 2 hours, he draws blood. Sometimes this seems to be too stubborn but at the same time, I think this can be interpreted as credible.

             My father has been a bookworm since he was very young. But he couldn't afford to buy many books when he was a student, so he gave up to take bus and walked more than two hours every day to save money for books. He usually read self-improvement books or detective novel. Instead of parents, self-improvement books became an advisor and a mentor to him. The detective novels helped him to fall into the story and forget about the real life for a moment. He hasn't thrown away any books, so there are thousands of books at home now. He's still reading a lot of books and sometimes I can find him lost in childhood memories with his old books. Opening a small library with these books after retiring is one of his bucket lists.

            I inherited much of his characters. Even though his personality was from a difficult situation of the childhood, I understand that his hard efforts have made who he is now. I'm so happy and proud to be his daughter.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, this is ChaiHyeon Nah.
    What I liked the most about your writing is that it is really touching. I almost cried while reading your essay. I wrote about my father as well, and you seemed to put more facts rather than dialogues. I think this makes your essay somewhat more serious and deep.
    I believe the word "perfectionist" would describe your father very well. You said he is like a robot and he doesn't want to show his weakness to others. You also gave some examples like him taking pills and measuring blood sugar every day. These made me feel like that your father really is a "perfectionist".
    Your essay is overall very clear but in the begining of your 2nd paragraph, where you used quoting, is a little bit unclear to me. There suddenly appeared the quoting so I had to think a little bit to figure out who said that.
    You have strong organization. You mentioned your father's childhood in the begining, gave us some examples of his character in the middle and the reason you love him so much at the end.
    I like your organization but if you add a little more reasons of your love toward your father, it would be more touching. I want to know some stories between you and your father.
    I suppose your intended audience can be everyone. It would be an interesting and touching story to everyone because every father and his child has their own stories.

    Thank you and see you in the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Your father is perfectionist and a bookworm.
    2. "he's very inflexible and strongly clings to his principles.", "My father is a diabetic, so he has to take three pills 30 minutes after every mill.", "He hasn't thrown away any books, so there are thousands of books at home now."
    3. I could not find out how he looks like. There is no exact quotation about this, but he might have said that opening a small library with books he have after retiring is one of his bucket lists. He still reads a lot of books and sometimes he is lost in childhood memories with his old books. Others said "He doesn't have a father. My mom said that we should not get along with him." at his back.
    4. You said that he frowns when you asked about his childhood days. And he gets lost in childhood memories when he read his old book. Then does it mean that he suffers from his old memories when he reads a book?
    5. Because he is the person who is really alike as a character, and she is very proud of him.
    6. I think descripting about his appearance could be a good choice because there is no illustrations about his appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Even until now, he's very inflexible and strongly clings to his principles.

    2. My father is a diabetic, so he has to take three pills 30 minutes after every mill. He also needs to check his blood sugar figure two times a day; at morning when his stomach is empty and 2 hours after dinner. My father never forgets to take the pill or measure blood sugar figure. He always sets two alarms after supper.


    5. I think the reason why is that the writer feels so proud of him and wants to share what her father is like with others.

    6. What does he look like? What does he say?

    I think that if you could include these information, it would be greater.

    ReplyDelete

  4. My Father
    My father frowns whenever I ask him about his childhood. His face shows that he doesn’t like to recall his deprived childhood. His parents got divorced when he was 10 years old. His mother suddenly shouldered the financial responsibility of the family. Though she was a doctor, she couldn’t earn as much as others did because she worked at local public health center. My father had to live in his aunt’s house. The whole family must sleep together in one small room. Also his mother didn’t have enough time to take care of her children and spend time with them because she was busy working in the day time and doing housework at night.
    My father occasionally got teased from his friends. They said “He doesn’t have a father. My mom said that we should not get along with him.” My father disliked to hear this kind of backbiting, so he tried to be a perfectionist. He didn’t want to show his weakness to others. Even until now, he’s very inflexible and strongly clings to his principles. Sometimes he seems like a robot. My father is a diabetic, so he has to take three pills 30 minutes after every mill. He also needs to check his blood sugar figure two times a day; at morning when his stomach is empty and 2 hours after dinner. My father never forgets to take the pill or measure blood sugar figure. He always sets two alarms after supper. When the first alarm rings after 30 minutes, he takes medicine, and when it rings again after 2 hours, he draws blood. His machine-like character seems to be too stubborn but at the same time, I think this can be interpreted as trustworthy.
    My father has been a bookworm since he was very young. But he couldn’t afford to buy many books when he was a student, so he didn’t take bus and walked more than two hours every day to save money for books. He usually read self-improvement books or detective novels. Instead of parents, self-improvement books became an advisor and a mentor to him. The detective novels helped him to fall into the story and forget about the real life for a moment. He hasn’t thrown away any books, so there are thousands of books at home now. “Why do you keep all those books? They take too much place!” I asked my father. He said “I want to open a small library with these books when I retire. That’s one of the items in my bucket list.” He’s still reading a lot of books and sometimes I can find him lost in happy moments of childhood with his old books.
    I inherited much of his characteristics. Like my father, I lack flexibility, but try to be a perfectionist. I also loved to read books when I was a kid. Even though my father’s personality was from a difficult situation of the childhood, I understand that his hard efforts have made who he is now. Nowadays he keeps asking me “Am I a good father to you?” I always say that he’s doing well, but he says “I don’t know what good fathers do because I didn’t have a father when I was young. My father wasn’t next to me when I needed him. I can’t promise you that I will be a good father, but I am sure that I will right beside you whenever you need me.” I was greatly impressed by his love. I am so happy and proud to be his daughter.

    ReplyDelete