Saturday, January 5, 2013

Seongyool Myung/ Chapter 3 /First draft

My Uncle Monk

 

I have two uncles. One is a captain, and the other is a monk. The younger one became a monk about 10 years ago. I don't remember clearly but I was in elementary school at that time, so he has been a monk for about half a decade. Nevertheless, when I was very young, before entering elementary, he was a man that nobody would think as religious man.

The oldest memory that I have about him is a drive just he and I alone had. I was about 7, and he lived in my grandmother's house in rural areas in South Jeolla Province. My family visited there (I think it was the New Year in lunar calendar or Chuseok). Suddenly my uncle said he want to have a drive. I said I wanted to go and my mother allowed him to take me. So we went on a drive in my aunt's car at the speed of 200 kilometers per hour. After this, so excited, I bragged about this to my mom. She was so upset and yelled at my uncle saying that I could have died, and I could never go drive with him again.

My uncle is a very good-looking man. He has very big eyes and their color is brown. His gaze is like penetrating one's heart. He has a quite western-style sharp nose and small face. He is relatively tall considering the time. He sometimes told me the stories about the girls he went out with, which I believed from his appearance and the way he talked.

In my grandma's house, I can see a frame that has revolvers and ammos on the wall. My uncle received it in the army. He had been a sergeant who had trained the soldiers. He has a Taekwondo black belt. Good looking and a martial art expert? He was an idol to me when I was young.

Another memory that I have about him is that when I was about eight or nine years old, he brought a girl to my grandma's house and he said he wanted to marry the girl in front of the whole family. Then, the old uncle, who had been making decision on behalf of my grandfather since he passed away, said no to him. The young one kept trying to persuade him but he did not make it. The old one told him that he is not able to feed his family. The couple put their heads down and started to burst tears. That was the first and the only time that I saw his tears.

Four years passed since that time. One day my mother, who was a nun before her marriage, was so happy and told me that my uncle was going to be a monk. She said he would be sent to a monastery where he should live for some time and do penance. A bright shine lay down on her face, but I was disappointed because I thought he did not accomplish what he wanted.

Three more years passed. I was a middle school student. One day, he visited my house. My family had lunch together. After lunch, he told me that he was satisfied with the life he had. The pray, penances, abstinence… he said he didn't hate these; instead, he said he felt like his souls got purified every day. I did not believe his words for the first time. That night, I was gazing at the icon of Jesus on the wall of my house, thinking about what he said. Suddenly I noticed that Jesus' face and my uncle's look alike. Yes they did. A notorious man became religious. He was a "Prodigal Son".

 

3 comments:

  1. 1.Your uncle was a man with free soul, but now he is a devout monk.

    2.1) So we went on a drive in my aunt's car at the speed of 200 kilometers per hour.
    2) He sometimes told me the stories about the girls he went out with,
    3) he said he felt like his souls got purified every day.

    3. What the person looks like: My uncle is a very good-looking man
    What the person says: he told me that he was satisfied with the life he had.
    What the person does: he brought a girl to my grandma's house
    What other people say about the person: One day my mother was so happy and told me that my uncle was going to be a monk.
    You used all four methods and described him in detail.

    4. I didn't know what "Prodigal Son" at first, so I had to search the dictionary. Now I know that it's a perfectly fix expression for you uncle and good ending of writing, but it will be better to add some explanation.

    5. I think you chose to write about your uncle because he was an idol to you when you were young.

    6. Why did he decide to become a monk? Were there any event that changed his mind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Uncle Monk





    I have two uncles. One is a captain, and the other is a monk. The younger one became a monk about 10 years ago. I don't remember clearly, but I was in elementary school at that time, so he has been a monk for about half a decade. Nevertheless, when I was very young, before entering elementary, he was a man that nobody would think as a religious man.


    The oldest memory that I have about him is a drive just he and I alone had. I was about 7, and he lived in my grandmother's house in rural areas in South Jeolla Province. My family visited there, I think it was the New Year in lunar calendar or Chuseok. I was hanging out in the frontyard, and suddenly my uncle said he want to have a drive. I said I wanted to go and my mother allowed him to take me. So we went on a drive in my aunt's car and he began to speed up to 200 kilometers per hour. After this exciting experience, I bragged about this to my mom. She was so upset that he yelled at my uncle saying that I could have died. I could never go drive with him again.


    My uncle is a very good-looking man. He has very big eyes and their color is brown, which is rarely seen among Korean people. His gaze is like penetrating one's heart. He has a quite western-style sharp nose and small face. He is relatively tall considering the underdeveloped period of this country. He sometimes told me the stories about the girls he went out with, which I believed in from his appearance and the way he talked.


    In my grandma's house, I can see a frame that has revolvers and ammos on the wall. My uncle received it in the army. He was a staff sergeant who trained the soldiers. He has a Taekwondo black belt. Good looking and a martial art expert! He was like an idol to me when I was young.


    Another memory that I have about him is that when I was about eight or nine years old, he brought a girl to my grandma's house and he said he wanted to marry the girl in front of the whole family. But then, the old uncle, who had been making decision on behalf of my grandfather after he passed away, said no to him. The young one kept trying to persuade him but he could not make it. The old one told him that he was not able to feed his family. The couple put their heads down and started to burst tears. That was the first and the only time that I saw his tears.


    Four years passed since that time. One day my mother, who was a nun before her marriage, was so happy and told me that my uncle was going to be a monk. She said he would be sent to a monastery where he should live for some time and do penance. A bright shine lay down on her face, but I was disappointed because I thought he decided to be a monk because he could not accomplish what he wanted four years ago.


    Three more years passed. I was a middle school student. One day, he visited my house. My family had lunch together. After lunch, he told me that he was satisfied with the life he had. The pray, penances, abstinence… he said he didn't hate these; instead, he said he felt like his souls got purified every single day. I did not believe in his words for the first time. That night, I was thinking about what he said to me that day. Without noticing, I gazed at an icon of Jesus on the wall. Then, all of a sudden, I found out that Jesus' face and my uncle's look alike. Yes they truly did. Once notorious, now religious. He became the "Prodigal Son".

    ReplyDelete