Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Hosun Lee/ Chapter3 final draft

<A Typhoon in My Life>

 

Last summer, when typhoon Bolaven slammed the southern and western parts of South Korea, my first foreign friend came to Korea with the typhoon. At that time, the typhoon was so harsh that his flight couldn't came on time. So we had to wait for him another 3 hours. Finally the flight landed and we met. At first I saw him, he was looking around tightening his vigilance to strange environments. He was wearing sunglasses not usual in Korea and chewing a gum audibly. After taking off his sunglasses, he kept his blue eyes blinking with curiosity to the new world. Though he looked nervous, I strode to him.

His name is Ketryk Wilder. He was the first exchange student from the university of New Haven in America to my university, Korea National Police University, and I was supposed to be his roommate for one semester. So I had to pick him up in the airport and take him to my house.

At first, I was concerned about whether he could get used to a new lifestyle which is totally different from America's. Even worse, because my university is based on military academy, it has so many rules to observe such as saluting to seniors, wearing uniform, cleaning one's room, morning roll call everyday, confinement during weekdays, etc. I thought that he might have many difficulties in adapting to new environments. Also, student advisors were worried about that too, so they told him that if it was hard for him to adapt in this university, they could treat him as an exception. But his answer was "No, then there is no why I came here. I want to be treated as a normal student of this university." with a determined attitude contrary to my first impression of him. But I screamed in my mind because I would be to blame about all the faults he would made. Oh, Gee...

Actually students of my university have to undergo discipline before entrance, but without that, things were not that very easy. I had to explain all the rules to him in English, because there was no rule book in English. He was concentrating on memorizing rules but memorizing things and getting accustomed to them was totally different. He was warned by chewing gums during roll call and even got a discipline because he was late for his class.

But after that, he got used to my university very quickly. Sometimes, he woke me up for the morning roll call. Then one day, I was curious about why he came to Korea and why he was enduring all the hardships to get used to my university. So I asked him.

"Why did you come to Korea? Wouldn't it be better to stay in your country?"

And he answered with the determined attitude he had showed me before.

"I wanted to challenge new things. How can I have these precious experiences in my entire life? When a professor suggested me to be an exchange student in Korea, I accepted his suggestion on the spot."

His answer cast so many questions to my life. When I was a freshman, I had many troubles in adapting to my university like he did. But after getting used to this lifestyle, I was devoted to "routine things" that I had to do without challenging new things. I studied hard, actively participated school activities, and faithfully did my chores assigned to me such as cleaning my room, ironing my uniforms or something. But I never challenged new things outside of campus. To realize that, I looked like a big frog in a small pond satisfied with "routine things".

Anyway I helped him a lot challenge new things. We had a trip to Jeju island, successfully demonstrated self-defense martial art in hapkido competition, sang a song in the school festival, went to club(cause he wanted) etc. I can't write down all the things here. But there is one thing I'm sure that I challenged new things, being a roommate with challenging guy. And this is my turn to be a challenging man. So I decided to go abroad as an exchange student to his university this year, and that's why I'm here and taking English courses in HUFS.

He left Korea 21th, December. He was strong enough to shake my attitude to life violently. As a strong typhoon moves fast, the typhoon named Ketryk has gone now. But a challenging typhoon started from Korea is forecast to land on America this year.

 

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered this tonight at almost 4AM and it still brings back memories that will last a lifetime!

    Thank you Hosun!

    ReplyDelete