Saturday, January 12, 2013

Chapter 5 / 1st draft / Chong rim Yoo

nterview with Mr. Lee

200702094 Chong rim Yoo

As you hardly entered the University, the next thing you face is getting a job. In ,y situation, I am a senior student who is up for graduation and in the progress of finding a job. I have such experiences failing interviews. I thought that the biggest reason in failing interview was because of my specifications. In Korea, many students work hard in filling their specifications through high GPA, variety of certificates and experiences. However, I was curious what is the real qualifications that are needed for students to get a job: High specifications, or personality? I went to Mr. Lee who is the head of Human Resources in a Japanese bank.

We met at a coffee shop near Finance Center where is work place is associated. I was very nervous because I felt like I was taking an interview. Mr. Lee seems to be like a typical business man, wearing black suit with a red tie. He first made some jokes to make me feel comfortable before I begin his interview. As the coffee that we ordered came out, I begin to ask question that I have prepared. My first question was the definition of Human Resources. He said "Generally, we make up the workforce of a company. In a easy way, as you already know, we arrange an interview and through the interview we select the right person who fits in our company." I told him that H.R sector seems to be an important part of the company because they makes the atmosphere of the working place. He laughed out loud and said that he appreciates my impression.

As I felt more comfortable I straightly asked my main question, "Do you think every people who are appling for a job needs to have qualified specification?". I could get his answer right away. "Basic specifications are needed such as language skills or average GPA but I can not say that is the only thing that we mainly concern when we pick a new worker. The main valuation basis is one's personality." I was glad to hear his respond because confident just came up to me and asked what kind of personality is needed. His face got serious as he heard my question and took him a second to answer. "Frist of all, as Korea is a country that concerns politeness very importantly, good manners goes first. Next will be showing passions and attitude toward the job" Mr. Lee said.

It was a big surprise for me hearing that personality defeats specifications so I asked him why or does he have a direct experience. He sighed and began his words. "During the interview I saw a great differences between high and low specified people. People who tends to attend a superior university show a coast attitude because are have pride in themselves. However, candidates who have a less specification I can see passion in their eyes firm attitude about the job because they take the interviews as a great opportunity." After his saying I could draw myself having an interview with a passive attitude. I was glad that I found one of my problem but felt depressive of losing all those interview because of that.

I could take Mr. Lee's time too much so I had to end up my interview with my last question. I said, "Please give our students an advice in preparing a job." He was showing a great smile in his face and talked brightly "The most important thing is concern a lot and through those concerns, find your dream. If you know what you really want that will absolutely led you to be a passionate person. Study hard, experience lot and enjoy your life. Getting a great job is not the only thing to be happy."

Mr. Lee gave me a great cheer by saying "You will be fine because now you know what to do". At that moment I was not sure what he meant but on my way home I realized that my loss of confident was the problem. I do not have a great specifications but I do have a personality to enjoy my life and respect others. I hope this interview can give other students hope and path.

 

3 comments:

  1. 1. What I liked about this essay was that she interviewed someone she had concerns with. I mean, she had to try to get a job and she also had to interview someone. So, she interviewed someone who she can ask about what she was really curious.

    2. I heard that the word "specifications" is Konglish word. I heard the word "qualification" is the right word from Professor Chesnut.

    3. I think "Personality is more important than specifications" is the thesis statement of this essay.

    4. "The most important thing is concern a lot and through those concerns, find your dream." was effective to me because these days, people tend to follow careers that make them a lot of money than careers that are their dreams. It emphasises the importance of dream.

    5. I think there are right number of quotations.

    6. Reviewing sentences about tense could be effective. I coud see some of the tense problems in your essay. But though, it was great writing. I enjoyed reading your essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interview with Mr. Lee
    -Final Draft
    200702094 Chong rim Yoo

    As you hardly entered the University, the next thing you face is getting a job. In my situation, I am a senior student who is up for graduation and in the progress of finding a job. I have such experiences failing interviews. I thought that the biggest reason in failing interview was because of my qualifications. In Korea, many students work hard in filling their resume with high GPA, variety of certificates and experiences. However, I was curious what is the real qualifications that are needed for students to get a job: High level of qualification, or personality? This curiosity lead me to get an interview from Mr. Lee who is the head of Human Resources in a Japanese bank.

    We met at a coffee shop near Finance Center where his work place is associated. I was very nervous because I felt like I was taking an interview. Mr. Lee looked like a typical business man, wearing black suit with a red tie and his hair was neat as a grass. He first made some jokes to make me feel comfortable before I ask him questions. As the coffee that we ordered came out, I began to ask questions that I have prepared. My first question was the definition of Human Resources. He said "Generally, we make up the workforce of a company. In a easy way, as you already know, we arrange an interview and through it we select the right person who fits in our company." I told him that HR sector seems to be an essential part of the company because it makes the atmosphere of the working place. He laughed out loud and said that he appreciates my impression. His face was filled with pride because I could see his teeth so many he seemed like a hippo.

    As I felt more comfortable I straightly asked my main question, "Do you think every people who are appling for a job need to have well-made qualification?".I could get his answer right away. "Basic qualified abilities are needed such as language skills or average GPA but I can not say that those are the only thing that we mainly concern when we pick a new worker. The main valuation is based on one's personality." I was glad to hear his response because confident just came up to me. I quickly asked what kind of personality is needed. His face got serious as he heard my question and took him a few seconds to answer. "Frist of all, as Korea is a country that concerns politeness very importantly, good manners goes first. Next will be showing passion and attitude towards the job" Mr. Lee said.
    It was a big surprise for me to hear that personality defeats qualification. I always thought that advanced qualification was the prior part to posses. As I got confused I asked him if he had any direct experience. He sighed and began his words. "During the interview I saw a great differences between with high or low qualifications. People who tend to attend a superior university show coast attitudes because they have pride in themselves. However, candidates who have a less potential in their abilities I can see strong passions in their eyes and firm attitudes about the job because they take the interviews as a great opportunity." After his saying I could draw myself having an interview with a passive attitude. I was glad that I found one of my problem but felt depressive of losing all those interviews because of my passive manner toward it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not take Mr. Lee's time too much so I had to end up my interview with my last question. I said, "Please give our students an advice in preparing a job." He was showing a great smile in his face and talked brightly, "The most important thing is concern a lot and through those concerns, find your dream. If you know what you really want that will absolutely led you to be a passionate person. Study hard, experience lot and enjoy your life. Getting a great job is not the only thing to be happy." I apologized taking his time too long, but he suddenly stared at me and said "If I lose my job for skipping work, you owe me for this" We both laughed and shook hands.
      Mr. Lee gave me a great cheer by saying "You will be fine because now you know what to do". At that moment I was not sure what he meant, but on my way home I realized that my lost of confident was the problem. I do not have a great qualifications but I do have a personality, knowing how to enjoy my life and respect others. I hope this interview can give other students hope and path because I now know how to be myself in the interview.



      - I had to sperate it becuase it didn't fit in one commnet.

      Delete