Saturday, January 5, 2013

chater 3 - first draft hansangdeok

My father

 

He is fat. Due to his excessive fat, at every physical examination, he gets the grade 'dangerous' as a fat illness. All of the family members are really worried about his weight. But the biggest problem is that he doesn't care about that.

 

Although I and other family members got quarrels with my father about his weight, we have never won the fight. It's because he didn't answer or reply at all.

 

"You need to have diet" I always say to him, when he eats at 2 o'clock in the morning. "Your abdomen looks mountain, you need to think about your health"

 

But he pretended not listening and looked at me till I shut my mouth.

 

My father had a very hard time when he was young. His family was refugees who came from DMZ. After settling in Seoul, circumstances were even tougher than expected. I heard that he had come close to die of hunger. He once said to me that during that hard time he was just happy only to eat. Maybe it developed to the habits that he has to eat anything in front of him till he gets satisfied. In other words, he became the person who can't control the appetite. That may be the reason why he just ignores the advice I and my mother give.

 

His parents struggled hard to survive. However hard it might be, his parents always taught morals and values to him. Following this, I often hear lots of moral disciplines from my father. Listening, I can find out that they are mainly about family thing. In fact there are only two maxims I can learn, be faithful to the parents! Have respect to the head of household! He knows that I and my brother are not listening but he keeps trying to teach that.  

 

Yes He can be seen as an authoritative and stubborn person to the family. But it could be partial to say he is just a total authoritarian in the family. In fact he has never beaten me, said harsh things to me, or forced me to do something that I didn't want to. Father and son relationship is normal as far as I know.

 

However, he hates talking to me. Irony isn't it? Especially, he hates talking about his health and parents. Whenever in the family meetings, in fact talking about his life and his parents is inevitable. As he has lots of physical problems and his parent (my grandmother) still is fighting against Alzheimer's disease, there are too much to settle down with him as a family member. But he seems he doesn't want us to talk about that. He even ignores everything related to that.

 

In addition to his silence and speechless, it is very hard to catch on his feelings. He is not the person who wants to stifle his emotions. About 3 years ago, I got accepted to the university. I thought that this could be happy news for my father who was working at that time. So I called him immediately to surprise him. However, though I told him this precious updated news, I got the expression that he didn't seem that surprised or happy in his voice. He seemed just hearing my 'happy' words. After all, the last word he said to me was "Good job, I'm sorry but I got a work to do." I was really disappointed at that time. Till the last minute I went into dormitory, I couldn't felt any satisfaction on his face.

 

After long time passed I could notice what my father really felt by my mother's voice. In fact he was really over the rainbow. He was so pleased with my acceptance that he treated all other colleagues in his team. Maybe it was the paternal authority which makes him speechless and unemotional.

 

Whether I like him or not, he is my father who raised me with devotions. He is a typical Korean father who wants normal Korean son. Sadly, I am not a traditional Korean son who obeys and follows parent's orders. However, At least I will try it for him.

 

2 comments:

  1. From Jieun Lee

    1. Writer’s father is fat in the view of physical aspect, and seems not to enjoy talking about himself with others, even family members, and feel hard to listen to other people’s advices or opinions.

    2. List three details from the essay

    In this essay, writer said his father is excessive fat only to be dangerous (Paragraph 1). Also, he said he doesn’t’ want to talk with his son, writer (Paragraph 8). Because he is kind of authoritative and stubborn person, it looks hard to communicate (Paragraph 7).

    3. The methods that the writer uses to reveal the person’s character
    a. What the person looks like
    His abdomen looks mountain.
    b. What the person says
    He said that how he got out of control about eating foods.
    c. What the person does
    He looked not really pleased with his son’s good news, but in reality he treated all other colleagues in his team. That means he feels hard to express his feeling just way it is, but it is certain that he also feels same emotion as others.

    4. things in this essay that you did not understand

    Writer said that his father is sort of person who is an authoritative and stubborn to the family. However, according to just this essay, his father seems to feel hard to communicate and not to be able to control his appetite. I think authoritative means one commands, controls, and interferes with everything, so I wonder that he is or not, or else, this word looks unsuitable.

    5. The reason the writer chose to describe this particular person

    Although writer’s father is one of the closest people of him, but there are many parts writer can’t understand, and different from writer, so he wants to describe him.

    6. Write one or two questions about the person described in this essay that you would like the writer to answer in the next draft.

    1) Thanks to his character, if there is some specific event or not like conflict with family members.
    2) What writer feels about his father can be expressed more specifically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Park Ye Jee 200904069January 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM

    1. First he has obesity and doens't want to talk about his problem.
    I think he is a typical Korean father who wants normal Korean son.
    He doesn't say a lot but he has a love for the son.

    2. a.Your abdomen looks mountain, you need to think about your health"
    b.he hates talking to me. Irony isn't it? Especially, he hates talking about his health and parents
    c.Yes He can be seen as an authoritative and stubborn person to the family.

    3. a. Your abdomen looks mountain. he has so excessive fat that his abdomen would look like mountain.
    b."Good job, I'm sorry but I got a work to do."
    even though son told him good news, he didn't seem happy. and he just like that. it implys that he doen't express his feelings well, maybe.


    4. as previous commenter said, i also don't understand why he authorative to his family.
    i could see he kept eating even though you and your family disuaded to eat, which shows that he seems to be stubborn.
    but as you wrote, he has not beaten or forced you to do something. it doens't look that he is authorative.
    may be you should replace this for other words.

    5. I guess he loves his father even though his father hates talking. Besides, his father has health problem. so it would make writer feel worry or keep thinking of him.
    so i think he chose his father.

    6. A. how about nowadays?
    His health got improved? I hope he gets better :D

    B. How was your feeling when you heard from your mother that your father was really happy to know the news that you go to university?





    ReplyDelete