Saturday, January 5, 2013

The 3rd Assignment Junseok Kang

200600056

Junseok Kang

 

           "Can we make the world better place?" my English teacher asked to my class. "If we can get rid of all weapons, people can live in the peaceful world." One of my classmates answered. "Well… you don't know how the world works. It won't happen. You know people in army industry lobby tons of money to politicians. It is impossible to change the things. Everything starts to be involved with money, some people won't stop selling and making. You're just a dreamer." I said. I didn't mean to ignore his idea. Right after, "But I will join you." I added with a smile. Then my teacher also said "I will join, too." The dreamer we've referred is from the song called 'Imagine'

           Beatles' music is not my taste. However I still love John Lennon. John Lennon came to me at certain moment of my life. I used to be curious about everything and wondered why things happened. I've tried to find my own some answers to live by. Whenever I set up my life rules, always there are John Lennon's quotations similar to what I figured out. I felt like we have a connection and a strong support from him. Especially when I wondered and disappointed why things didn't go as planned in my life. Then I heard his song called 'beautiful boy.' It said that 'Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.' It made me relaxed and meant a lot to me who was in deep disappointment. Like this song, John Lennon's song has a lot of meaningful insight.

           The great songwriter and the peace activist John Lennon was born in Liverpool England. When he was 4 years old, his parents split up. But His mother visited John often while living with his aunt. Even she taught him how to play the piano. And his musical talent couldn't be hidden in his early childhood. Inspired by Elvis Presley, he started a band. Later it became 'the Beatles' every people love. The Beatles became the most famous band on the planet.

           But this wasn't the end of career. I personally think his really music started after. With starting a anti Vietnam war protest, he wrote many insightful songs about peace and ideas he had. The great song 'Imagine' was written at this time. People can understand that the thing John Lennon really hoped and wished is the pure love for humanity 'agape.' This song has played so many time at international conference or meeting, because there is no other better way than this song.

           Unfortunately after his brilliant music pieces, he was assassinated by someone. It was such a big loss to mankind. But the idea he left is still valid and meaningful. Whenever I look his long oval shaped face, big nose, messed long hair and big sunglasses which cover half of his face, I can stop thinking how good his song were.

3 comments:

  1. 1. John Lennon is John Lennon. Everybody knows how he looks like.

    2. Long oval-shaped pale face, a big nose, messed hair, and big round sunglasses.

    3. (1) He is John Lennon. No more description is needed.
    (2) He wrote a lot of beautiful songs which are still loved world-widely. He got assassinated.
    (3) He is one of the greatest musicians through human history. World people respect his good will, too.

    4. I could understand everything because he is so famous.

    5. John Lennon's songs are really touching. And the writer loves the lyrics. When your life was not going in a way you want, his songs gave you strength to stand up again.

    6. I think it is better for you to write someone who you know and other members in the class don’t know about. If it were someone else, it might be more interesting. John Lennon is just too famous, and there is nothing new about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Jieun Lee

    1. John Lennon was a very talented musician who yearned for peace, and made writer feel that they have connection and receive strong support from him.

    2. List three details from the essay

    In this essay, he was really talented musician from his early childhood (Paragraph 3). When writer was wondering what he had to live by, and set up his life rules, there were always John Lennon’s quotations (Paragraph 2). When John Lennon was alive, he started a anti Vietnam war protest, and wrote many songs that had peaceful ideas (Paragraph 4).

    3. Methods that the writer uses to reveal the person’s character

    a. What the person looks like
    John seems that he wanted to make the world peaceful.
    b. What the person does 
    He wrote many songs that have peaceful ideas.

    4. Things in this essay that you did not understand

    I got that writer felt strong connection with John, but because there is no example showing how writer feels connection, it is hard to get exactly. Also, from the middle of the essay, writer mentioned how John yearned for world’s peace, but if writer say how his action inspired him, it would be more specific, and the reason writer picked this person would be clear.

    5. Why do you think the writer chose to describe this particular person?

    Because he felt that between he and John, there is some kind of connection because when he thinks of his life, John’s quotations remain strong.

    6. One or two questions about the person described in this essay that you would like the writer to answer in the next draft.

    I could know how writer felt about John, but writer just mentioned like he came to his mind when he set up his rules. I think if writer mention what kind of rules or what circumstances he was in that moment, it would be more specific. So, readers can understand why writer think he felt that kind of feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 200600056
    Junseok Kang

    “How can we make the world better place?” my English teacher asked to my class. “If we can get rid of all weapons, people can live in the peaceful world.” One of my classmates answered. “Well… you don’t know how the world works. It won’t happen. You know people in army industry lobby tons of money to politicians. It is impossible to change the things work. Everything starts to be involved with money, some people won’t stop. You’re just a dreamer.” I said. I didn’t mean to ignore his idea. Right after, “But I will join you.” I added with a smile. Then my teacher also said “I will join, too.” The dreamer we’ve referred is from the song called ‘Imagine’ from John Lennon.
    Beatles’ music is not my taste. However I still love John Lennon. John Lennon came to me at certain moment of my life. I used to think about why the world is always filled with the war and hatred. Also I tried to figure out the life I live. Those questions were my attempt to understand the world and my life in my early twenties. I’ve tried to find my own answers to live by. Whenever I attempted, always there are John Lennon’s quotations and songs similar to the answers I reached in the end. I felt like we have a connection. Or I have a strong support from him.
    Once I was disappointed why things didn’t go as planned in my life. All the plans I set up for my early twenties didn’t work out at all. I couldn’t catch up my classes and get a good grade. Even worse I couldn’t withdraw my school because of the scholarship supported from my father’s company. I had to graduate before his retirement. Everything seemed beyond my control. In frustration I heard his song called ‘beautiful boy.’ It said that ‘Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans.’ So I let the things go and accept them. It made me relaxed and meant a lot to me who was in deep disappointment. Like this song, John Lennon’s song has a lot of meaningful insight of life.
    The great songwriter and the peace activist who inspired me, John Lennon, was born in Liverpool England. When he was 4 years old, his parents split up. But His mother visited John often while living with his aunt. Even she taught him how to play the piano. And his musical talent couldn’t be hidden in his early childhood. Inspired by Elvis Presley, he started a band. Later it became ‘the Beatles’ every people love. The Beatles became the most famous band on the planet. But this wasn’t the end of career. I personally think his really music started after. With starting anti Vietnam War protest, he wrote many insightful songs about peace and ideas he had. The great song ‘Imagine’ was written at this time. People can understand the thing John Lennon really hoped and wished is the pure love for humanity ‘agape.’ This song has played many times at international conference or meeting, because there is no other better way can express the love than this song can do.
    Unfortunately after his brilliant music pieces, he was assassinated by someone. It was such a big loss to mankind. But the idea he left is still valid and meaningful. Whenever I look his long oval shaped face, big nose, messed long hair and big sunglasses which cover half of his face, I can stop thinking how lucky I am that I found him in my early twenties.

    ReplyDelete