Monday, January 14, 2013

Chapter 5. Bora Hong. final draft

A German in Korea, A Korean in Germany

- Interview with Dario Joseph Lee Konieczny

 

 

 

As I was grown up in Poland as a Korean until I became 15 years old, I know how hard it is to live as a foreigner in other country, where everything is different. I had hard time establishing my identity and accepting my own culture. And I also acknowledged the importance of adapting in the new society.

 

Dario Joseph Lee Konieczny also had gone through this. He was born in Germany in a small city near Berlin between Korean mother and Polish father. In 1978, his mother moved from Korea to Germany and worked there as a nurse. In late 1960's and early 1970's a lot of nurses and miners immigrated to Germany by the demand of german government. When Korea started to recover from the Korean War during that time, a lot of people accepted the proposals working in abroad to earn money. And so was his mother. She met her husband there while working and got married.

 

I asked him how his childhood was like. "I was a normal kid. I went to German kindergarten and then German elementary school. Nothing really special, but I was a trouble maker like other boys." he answered and had a sip of coffee. "When did you realize that you were different that other kids?" I asked him again. In few seconds silence, he answered. "I didn't think I was different, but special. Because my other classmates could only speak German but I was the only guy who could speak German and Korean."

 

When I was about to ask him the other questions that I prepared ahead, he added with little bit of hesitation. "But I knew, I had different appearance in a way, and sometimes the bad guys used to make fun of me, just because I have dark hair and smaller eyes than them." Because I had the similar experience like him, I could feel how much he got hurt from them. "How did you feel? Did you hate yourself? or Have you ever blamed your parents or the your background?" I asked him again, and thought of my past. Because what he said reminded me of my own teenager days. "Well..... I haven't ever had those feelings in Germany. But in Korea. Yes! Several times." he grinned and continued his words. "I still remember the first day when I visited Korea. I was a little kid. I guess I was like 8 years old or something. Everybody adored me but sometimes the old people stared at me when I was with my mom. And some rude people used to shout at me like 'Your dad, the Yankee guy must have left your mom. you poor little thing.' And whenever I heard those kind of unpleasant things, I felt bad and started to be offensive to Koreans. Sometimes I really hated myself, because I look different than other korean kids. I prayed one night to have a Korean father. It was an awful thought to think of it now. But as time went by, I realized that there are a lot of good and nice people too. They treated me same like others. Some told me that I look like an actor or I am handsome. Maybe that's why I became to be confident with myself. " He finished his words with smile. However behind his smile, I could feel how it was tough to go through all kind of things step by step.

To change the mood I asked him what made him love Korea and stay here. "I always thought that Korea is one of my parts in my heart since I was little. I tried to learn Korean from my mom and Koreans in Germany. I kind of got the impression that Koreans are all warm-hearted. I don't know exactly from when. But I always thought of moving to Korea and teaching students German." He replied. " And as you know, I love Korean foods, and I think the Korean girls are the most beautiful in the world. Maybe that's why I want to stay here forever" he added and laughed. After few seconds, he broke the silence and said " But the biggest reason why I love here is because I am a Korean." After I finished his sentence, I was touched. Because I have known him for several years, I also know that he loves Korea so much and his friends here. He always tries to learn and accept Korean culture and language without doubt.

 

I saw his happiness in his life during the interview. Even though he had tough time, he overcame it very well with his positive thoughts and attitudes. Of course we need to welcome and understand the people with open mind as the number of multi-cultural families is increasing in Korea, but they also need to try to accept the different things and adapt in this society. I felt the warmth after the interview with him. As I know how hard it is and confusing, I want to pat everyone's back to cheer up who is undergoing these difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment