Saturday, January 5, 2013

Kwang-Jin Lee / Chapter 3. 1st draft

 

My army comrade, Sang-young

 

I first met my friend Sang-young when I was called up for military service. We were army comrade since we were in recruit training center. We lived in same room of the barrack and His location was at opposite side from me.

"Hey. Kwang-Jin," one day, one of my comrades said to me, "I think you have quite similar appearance with Sang-young. Don't you think?" I was very surprised because I have never heard about someone who looked like me from others before. In fact, I scarcely found someone who had similar appearance with me since I was a very little child.

"Nonsense!" I said indifferently. But actually because he and I hadn't frequently had conversations, I had never looked at him carefully before. So that night, when our daily tasks were over and we were back to our room, I observed his face with attention. He had a white face with strong, dark eyebrows. He had kind of big nostril and it could be easily seen from front. His eyes were very big and a little projected forward like a frog's eye. He looked at me with those big eyes, as he kept on blinking.

'Why did he say that I looked like him? There's nothing similar!' I thought.

But as the time went, I faced many situations to hear that Sang-young and I have very similar appearance. Every time I heard like that I just said 'Oh really?' and just ignored it.

Recruit training days were over after 5 weeks. Sang-young and I were transferred to same unit by chance. Since then, we could have chances to talk a lot.

"Hey dude, what are you going to do after you're discharged from army?" One day, he asked me.

"Hm.." I replied. "I think I'll have to study to go to a university. How about you?"

"Actually, I don't know. But I want to visit various foreign countries to find out what to do for living. I want to have many experiences in my life," he said.

Then he talked about his past days before coming into the army. I said about my past days, too. After that, we became very friendly. We talked about our concerns when we and our girlfriend had troubles. And many other sensitive topics could be easily told between us.

2 years had passed in an instant, and out time of discharge had come. I, he and other comrade that was discharged in the same day had visited photo studio together to celebrate our discharge. And later, when I saw the printed picture, I was very surprised.

"Wow!" I shouted. "Why is there my twin in the picture?"

Sang-young looked as just like me and I could not deny that he was had similar appearance since then.

 

5 comments:

  1. Kwang-Jin Lee has a secret twin.

    At first, they had nothing in common, but as the time passed they began to be good friends. When they took photos together at the end, they looked very much alike.

    What the person looks like – pale face, strong dark eyebrows and big eyes.

    What others say about the person – People said that they look alike.

    Fond memory he had with his comrade helped him choose this particular person.

    What is he doing now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. One day, one of my comrades said to me, "I think you have quite similar appearance with Sang-young."

    2.As the time went, I faced many situations to hear that Sang-young and I have very similar appearance.


    3. What the person looks like - He had a white face with strong, dark eyebrows. He had kind of big nostril and it could be easily seen from front. His eyes were very big and a little projected forward like a frog's eye.

    What the person says-"Hey dude, what are you going to do after you're discharged from army?" One day, he asked me.

    What the person does- We were army comrade since we were in recruit training center.

    What other people say about the person-As the time went, I faced many situations to hear that Sang-young and I have very similar appearance.

    4.-

    5. When the hard and time comes, we usually become more sensitive and think the person next to us more precious and special person. For him too. Everything he experienced during the army service, could be new and different and sometimes hard, but with that person he could overcome the problems and troubles, that' why this person is more memorable to him

    6.Do you two meed often these days too? What does he do now?
    Is the dream or goal you two talked about is carried out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yong sun hwang

    1. He has similar appearance as the writer. And he also has similar concerns as the writer

    2. I faced many situations to hear that Sang-young and I have very similar appearance.

    3. # What the person looks like – (o) He had a white face with strong, dark eyebrows. He had kind of big nostril and it could be easily seen from front. His eyes were very big and a little projected forward like a frog's eye.

    # What the person says – (o) "Actually, I don't know. But I want to visit various foreign countries to find out what to do for living. I want to have many experiences in my life,"

    # what the person does – (o) We were army comrade since we were in recruit training center.

    # what other people say about the person – (o) one day, one of my comrades said to me, "I think you have quite similar appearance with Sang-young.

    4. Did you go to same unit after recruit training center?

    5. The writer chose this particular person because he has similar appearance as the writer

    6. How many countries does he travel after army service? And what is he doing now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kwang-Jin Lee / Chapter 3. Final draft

    My army comrade, Sang-young

    I first met my friend Sang-young when I was called up for military service. We became army comrade since we were in recruit training center. We lived in same room of the barrack and His location was at my opposite side. But at first, we were not so close comrades and didn’t talk to each other often.

    “Hey. Kwang-Jin,” then one day, one of my comrades said to me, “I think you look like Sang-young quite a lot. Don’t you think?” I was very surprised because I have never heard about someone who looked like me before.

    “Nonsense!” I said indifferently. But actually, I couldn’t remember how he looked like. So that night, when our daily tasks were over and we were back to our room, I took a close look at him. He had a white face with strong, dark eyebrows. He had kind of big nostril and it could be easily seen from the front. His eyes were very big and a little projected forward like a frog’s eye. He kept on blinking as he looked at me with those big eyes.

    ‘Why did he say that I looked like him?’ I said to myself. ‘There’s nothing similar!’

    But as the time went, I faced many comrades who said that Sang-young and I looked alike. Every time I heard like that, I just said “Oh really?” and ignored it.

    5 weeks of recruit training terms ended. Sang-young and I were transferred to same unit.

    “Hey dude,” he asked me one day. “What are you going to do after being discharged from the army?”

    “Hm..” I replied. “I think I’ll have to start study to go to a university. How about you?”

    “I want to go abroad and visit various countries. I want to have a lot of experience when I’m young. With that experience, I want to find out what to do for a living,” he said.

    Then he talked about his past days before joining the army. He was born in a family that parents didn’t interfere much to him. Since he was young, they didn’t enforce him to study hard unlike other parents. Rather, they said, “Do everything you want. But remember! You have to take responsibilities from what you did.” So he didn’t pay much attention to school works and did lots of things out of school. He had worked in fast food restaurant, distribution center, Internet Café and so on. He had met many girlfriends from ones of his age to women who were 10 years older than him. He had traveled a lot in vacations and met many people. After graduating high school, he spent some 1 year living like a journey man. He traveled around in provinces such as Naju, Jinju and Gangreung. But, he had never been abroad until then.

    “I thought I had many experience than any other Korean people in our age,” he said. “But when I met a girl who was raised in U.S., I wondered how lives abroad would be like. So that’s why I want to go abroad after discharge.”

    Since that day, we became very friendly. He talked about his concerns when he and his girlfriend had troubles. I got rid of my anxiety while talking behind my superior’s back with Sang-young when I was punished to my superior. Many other sensitive topics could be easily told between us. We shared the good times and the bad times together for 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 years had passed soon and our discharge day came. He, I and other comrades that were discharged in the same day visited a photo studio together to celebrate our discharge. And later, when I saw the printed picture, I was very surprised.

    “Wow!” I shouted. “Why is there my twin in the picture?”

    Sang-young looked as just like me and I could not deny that we looked very alike from that day.

    He worked part-time to gather money for several months, and went to Singapore with that money. Surprisingly, he didn’t know any of English and Chinese at that time which were the official languages of Singapore! It could be a hard challenge, but he survived and lived there for 2 years. He worked in a bar and a restaurant. There, he learned about bartending and cooking. Then, he went to Japan and learned skills of making jewelry. He is now planning to learn more about those skills at the technical institution.

    He is the most free-spirited person I’ve ever seen. Some people considered him as drifting boat in the ocean that is heading nowhere, but I think he is a very challenging man who is searching his future in his own way. “At least I never demanded money from my parents,” he used to say. That was right. He did everything for himself. I hope he will not lose that free and challenging spirit and will find his work which really fits him someday. Until then, I’ll keep wishing my twin good luck.

    ReplyDelete