Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Bora Hong. Chapter 3. Final draft.

There is a my best friend in my family. We always share our stories about boys, we go shopping together, and we talk for several hours on the phone. That friend is my mom. What do you feel, what word comes into your mind, or with what can it be associated when you hear the word 'Mom'? The answers could be different from person, but generally Korean people would answer 'Sacrifice', 'Warmth'. But to me, I feel totally different. For me, mom is like a old friend, with whom I used to quarrel and then go for an ice cream as a settlement.

My mom was a teacher at middle school until when I was 4 years old. That memory I can hardly remember. But she always tried to teach me everything. But not math, not Korean, not English, unlike other Korean moms. She gave me ballet lesson, took me to the drawing class and made me read a lot of books and watch Disney animations. I always knew my mom had the emotions what usually the teenage girls have. I guess she wanted me to share her feelings through these lessons. We used to share stories what we did on that day. She was a magician to me. Whenever I was back home, she always welcomed me with various foods and desserts whatever I wanted. She is like 'seasoning' among the people. When delicacy and more taste are needed, we put different types of seasoning for each dishes. My mom is like seasoning, when she is with other people including my family. Without her laugh or chat, we can feel something is missing right away. Her existence itself makes the air warm and full.

But one day when I was first grade at elementary school, there was a big incident that made me realize that my mom can be also scary person. I saw different side of my her. That was the day when I was supposed to hand in the tuition fee to the ballet teacher. That morning my mom came up to me and said, "Bora, You know what you should do today, right? You should give this envelope to the teacher. It's a lot of money, so you have to be careful with it." "Okay, mom. Don't worry. I promise I will hand this is to her" I answered. I put the envelope in my bag and went to school. During the whole classes, only I could think about was to keep this envelope safe and carry it successfully. But after the class, on the way to the ballet class, the evilness inside me came out suddenly. As I passed by the Ddukboki shop, I couldn't stand the temptation of the delicious smell. My mouth was already full of water. ' I want that. I am so hungry. But I don't have money.' I thought. But all of sudden, the envelope flashed on my mind. ' Oh! yes. No one would notice if I just spend 1000won. ' I thought. So I took the envelope out of my bag, and bought Ddukboki and ate it pleasantly. With full stomach, I went to the ballet lesson, and gave the envelope without 1000won to the teacher. I thought that nobody would realize the missing 1000won that I spent for the Ddeukboki. After the lesson, I got back home. " Mom. I am home." I said. " Bora. I want to talk with you in my roon right now." my mother yelled out with angry face. I noticed that something was going wrong. So without a word, I got into the room, wondering why she has so angry face. " Bora, I know my daughter is very honest and nice girl. So I want you to tell me what happened to the envelope I gave you this morning. Because I just got a call from your ballet teacher" said my mom. After she finished her sentences, my back was wet with sweat and thousands of thoughts and ideas came into my mind and mixed up. "I don't know. What happened to the envelope? I just gave it to the teacher as you asked me for." I said. It was totally wrong. I just lied to my mom. I couldn't believe that I was lying to her but there was no other way to go back because I just spited out the word from my mouth. Then my mom started to cry and said. "Bora. I am very disappointed at you. I thought I am a good mother to you and you are my good girl. I hate when my little girl lies." As I saw her sweeping in front of me, I started to cry too. With tears in eyes I confessed to my mom. "Mommy. Actually I stole 1000 won from that envelope. I couldn't help it when I saw Ddeukboki. I am sorry. I will never do it. Please forgive me" " Bora. You were about to break my heart. I don't like my daughter being a liar and a thief. I will forgive you this time. But if you do it again, I will kick you out of this house and never see you again." said my mom and hugged me as a sign of forgiveness. I got so scared. For 1000 won I had to pay a lot. I cried all night, the fear that I could be possibly kicked out of this house in this cold winter imagining myself as 'The little match girl', I couldn't sleep that night. That night I realized that my mom was not only a friend but was a teacher and real mother.

After this happening, I tried everytime not to lie. But as I grew older and older. I realized that sometimes I need to lie in some situation. But still that gave me a huge lesson. Lie accompanies huge sacrifices.  And one thing more, I started to love and respect my mom more than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment